Thread: tortoise beak trim?

fire rooster

Default tortoise beak trim?

Anyone have a good way of helping my large sulcata trim his beak a little? The bottom is getting a little big and he will have a hard time eating in the future if it is not corrected.

Btorgy

You can try putting cuttlebone in his pen. Not only good for the beak, but a good source of calcium.

fire rooster

That is what I thought, wasn't sure if that would be enough though. I will give it a try, thanks Beth.

I gave mine cuddle bone, but they idnt even bother with it. So, what I do instead, is about every week or two, I give them cold carrots or squash. They seem to keep the beak fairly short. Just be careful not to give them too many vegetables cuz they really aren't good for them.

bedlamm

I recall discussion in Seattle of actually using a metal file on the beaks of captive chelonians. Is there a serious reptile rehabber or herp vet about that sees this problem routinely?

Donna

I'm sure Dr. Driggers would be skilled enough to trim a tortoise beak. Their beaks are very much like a parrots peak and he is the best vet around for trimming parrots.. and of course he is a herp vet. I would be reluctant to do it myself, if not done right it can lead to a more deformed beak. Using a vet will also give you an opportuninty to discuss health and care issues that can result in beak over growth.

fire rooster

Quote Originally Posted by Donna
    I'm sure Dr. Driggers would be skilled enough to trim a tortoise beak. Their beaks are very much like a parrots peak and he is the best vet around for trimming parrots.. and of course he is a herp vet. I would be reluctant to do it myself, if not done right it can lead to a more deformed beak. Using a vet will also give you an opportuninty to discuss health and care issues that can result in beak over growth.

Do you by chance have his tele number?

Thread Information